IoF2020 is designed to generate maximum impact right from the outset and in the long-run, bringing closer together and integrating the supply and demand sides of IoT technologies in the agri‐food sector:
- From the supply side, the project contributes to securing Europe’s leading position in the global IoT industry by fostering a symbiotic ecosystem of technology providers and players from the agri‐food sector, as well as promotes innovative/disruptive business models.
- From the demand side, the project helps accelerate the virtuous cycle of adoption and maturation of IoT technologies in the agri‐food sector to guarantee safe and adequate food for upcoming generations of European citizens.
In this manner, IoF2020 paves the way towards data-drive farming that is capable of providing higher production yields in a more sustainable and environmentally-responsible fashion, while also making the European farming sector more competitive in an increasingly globalized world.
In specific, IoF2020 aims to generate the following impacts:
- Validation of technological choices, sustainability and replicability, of architectures, standards, interoperability properties, and of key characteristics such as security and privacy;
- Exploration and validation of new industry and business processes and innovative business models validated in the context of the pilots;
- User acceptance validation addressing privacy, security, vulnerability, liability, identification of user needs, concerns and expectations of the IoT solutions;
- Significant and measurable contribution to standards or pre‐normative activities in the pilots' areas of action via the implementation of open platforms;
- Improvement of citizens' quality of life in the public and private spheres in terms of autonomy, convenience and comfort, participatory approaches, health and lifestyle, and access to services.
- Creation of opportunities for entrepreneurs by promoting new market openings, providing access to valuable datasets and direct interactions with users, expanding local businesses to European scale, etc.
- Development of secure and sustainable European IoT ecosystems and contribution to IoT infrastructures viable beyond the duration of the pilot.