City farming for leafy vegetables
Consumer tolerance for dirt, insects and other unwanted ingredients is almost zero. This is especially true for leafy vegetables used in convenience products such as cut lettuce and ready-to-eat salads. City farming addresses these consumer concerns. IoT technology in city farming enables the production of high-quality vegetables in a predictable and reliable manner, unaffected by plant diseases, free from pesticides and independent of seasonal influences.
excellent shelf life at an acceptable cost
provide an optimal solution
to provide process feedback
- Establish a real-size commercial city farm that integrates IoT technologies (farm size >4000 m2 growing area);
- Demonstrate the smooth integration of city farming in the food production process by embedding the advantages of the production approach;
- Guarantee a reliable supply of clean, pesticide-free leafy vegetables at an acceptable cost;
- Provide an alternative with better overall product quality (taste, nutrition, shelf life) in the cultivation of leafy greens;
- Enable vegetable processors to meet increasing requirements vis-avis chemical trace levels, product quality and shelf life.
- Better product quality for consumers;
- Increased economic value by supporting the convenience fresh food segment that is enjoying high customer demand;
- Improved water efficiency (>90% reduction compared to other growth methods);
- Reduced pesticide run-off in the environment by avoiding their application;
- Improved vegetable quality with significantly reduced waste in processing and transportation.