Interoperable Pig Health Tracking
Pig production’s substantial advancements over the last couple of decades has resulted in considerable improvements in productivity, allowing farms to be operated at a larger scale without losing efficiency. However, there is a public and societal concern about animal welfare in large scale operations due to the perceived lack of attention given to the individual animal. For the producer, avoiding unnecessary costs can make the difference between profit and financial losses. This use case thus relies on intensive scrutiny of each animal through IoT sensors, enabling the farmer to swiftly intervene in case health risks or diseases occur. The advantage of sensors, measuring physiological parameters, is that the animals are monitored constantly, and the collected data can further be utilised to assess production management and support decision-making. Animal welfare is consequently improved while the avoidable use of preventive antibiotics is reduced, contributing to production efficiency and sustainability.
- Reduce economic risk for farmer;
- Offer farmers new options for management to reduce piglet mortality;
- Decrease use of preventive medication (e.g. antibiotics);
- Improve food safety and enhance animal welfare;
- Use physiological parameters of the animal to determine health state;
- Interoperability of the platform with other existing IoF2020 use cases;
- Provide context-based alerts and decision support.
- Detect health issues before the farmer or the veterinarian >20%
- Improve animal well-being
- Sick piglets -20%
- Animal mortality -10%
- Improve fertility and farrowing which supports survival of piglets
- Reduced use of antibiotics